- Our Picks For The Best Foundations For Mature Skin Over 60
- La Prairie Anti-Aging Foundation
- IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation SPF 50+
- La Mav Foundation Powder Makeup
- 100% PURE Fruit Pigmented Cream Foundation
- Bodyography Matte Foundation Makeup
- 100% PURE 2nd Skin Foundation
- Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift & Firm Makeup
- Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup
- LORAC POREfection Foundation
- Best Drugstore Foundations for Mature Skin
- Ani-Aging Foundations and Mature Skin: What You Need to Know
- Best Anti-Aging Ingredients in Foundation Makeup
- Is Liquid or Powder Foundation Better For Aging Skin?
- How Do You Keep Foundation From Settling Into Wrinkles?
- What is Mature Skin? How Can I Recognize it?
- Is Having Mature Skin Inevitable or Preventable?
- Daily Habits That Can Cause Your Skin To Age Faster
If I have a time machine, I would go back to my 20-year-old self and enjoy the beautiful and care-free skin that I had back then. Seriously, who wouldn’t want to be young again? As we age, our skin becomes more and more tricky to work with (people over 60 knows what I mean here). This is the reason we need to be very picky about our makeup.
Luckily there are tons of great foundations for mature skin that are available. In this post, I will go over some of the best foundations for mature skin and provide a few pointers for you to care for your matured skin.
Our Picks For The Best Foundations For Mature Skin Over 60
La Prairie’s anti-aging foundation has all the features that you would expect in a good makeup for mature skin over 60. It works well on dry aging skin. This foundation is water and silicone-based. It’s designed for casual wear only and recommended as a good overall medium coverage foundation for mature skin. This means that it does a great job of covering the usual acne scars, black spots, blemishes, and wrinkles.
However, it won’t do well for trouble spots like rosacea. It comes in SPF 15 which is an important feature of a foundation in this category. This is a luxury foundation and I would even say the quality is in line with other luxury brands like IT Cosmetics. making it one of the best department store foundations for mature skin.
Although the foundation is great for dry skin, I would use a moisturizer underneath it if you have really dry skin. This provides an extra layer of protection. Also, the product is not fragrance-free which is a big turn off for more people.
The foundation does come with a higher price tag than you would expect. However, seeing how well it works, its one of the popular foundations in the makeup world.
BTW, I’ve written a detailed guide on some of the best foundations for dry skin. Check it out when you have time.
The IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation is one of the best foundations for mature oily skin. It’s a full coverage ani-aging foundation that is highly pigmented to help restore color and youth to your skin.
It contains anti-aging ingredients such as hydrolyzed collagen, peptides, grape seed, aloe, niacin, olive, rose, silk and vitamins A, C and E. It also contains hyaluronic acid to keep your skin hydrated.
This foundation has UVA/UVB broad-spectrum sun protection of SPF 50+. It’s a high pigmented, full coverage powder that does a great job of cover fine lines, wrinkles and large pores. It comes with a sponge applicator and 5+ shades to choose from.
This is one of the best face powders for mature skin. The powder is perfect for oil control. It’s non-comedogenic and it won’t settle into your lines or wrinkles.
The IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation is an award winning best compact foundation for mature skin. It does not contain Talc, Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Synthetic Fragrance and Phthalates.
The addition of hyaluronic acid is nice as mature skin requires as much hydration as possible.
BTW, I’ve written a detailed guide on the best foundations with hyaluronic acid if you want to find out more. I also created a guide on the best foundations for oily skin. Check it out if you want to discover more foundations like this one.
This La Mav Foundation is quickly emerging as one of the best foundations for mature sensitive skin. It is formulated with 100% pure minerals with sun protection SPF 15. It is free from any toxic or chemical ingredients and it will not irritate your sensitive skin or give you red spots.
The La Mav Foundation is a mineral powder foundation for mature skin that is light-weight, non-comedogenic, blendable and buildable.
This foundation is infused with organic rosehip oil and pure vitamin C that provides great anti-aging benefits. Furthermore, it’s water-resistant and it’s an overall really good all-day foundation for mature skin.
The 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Cream Foundation is one of the best cream foundations for mature skin. This foundation uses fruits like peach and apricot for pigment and does not contain any synthetic dyes. This is a full coverage makeup with moisturizing and natural anti-aging ingredients such as avocado and pomegranate oil.
The 100% PURE foundation glides onto your skin smoothly and does not feel cakey, oily or heavy. It’s great for covering wrinkles and it’s one of the best foundations for mature skin with wrinkles.
This foundation is free of any synthetic preservatives, artificial fragrances, synthetic chemicals, and toxins; making it one of the best vegan foundation for mature skin. It’s also cruelty-free.
Tip for applying cream foundations:
It’s best to apply cream foundations with a beauty blender or a damp makeup sponge. Start with a small amount and blend more as you need. If you’re going to be using a primer with this, make sure you give enough time for your primer to settle before blending. your cream foundation.
The Bodyography Matte Foundation Makeup is one of the best matte foundations for mature skin. It contains an oil-free formula that is infused with vitamin E, C, and antioxidants to protect and heal your skin. It’s effective on aging skin because Vitamin E is good at combating the effects of free radicals produced by the metabolism of food and toxins in the environment.
This foundation is created using Bodyography’s special light-diffusing formula that helps to give your skin an airbrushed look and the effect is most noticeable while taking photos.
This foundation is fragrance-free and does not contain Talc. It provides medium coverage that is buildable to full.
All Bodyography products, including this one, are gluten-free, paraben-free, vegan, PETA-certified.
This is a good cruelty-free foundation for mature skin.
The 100% PURE 2nd Skin Foundation is, in my opinion, the best natural foundation for mature skin. As with their other products, 100% PURE only uses natural pigments such as cocoa and fruits in their formulas. They never use any toxic ingredients or synthetic dyes.
The 100% PURE 2nd Skin Foundation contains a natural olive squalane that nourishes aging skin. It contains rice powders for absorbing excess oils and helps to keep shine away throughout the day. Other important anti-aging ingredients such as Vitamin E is also in the formula.
This foundation is a good lightweight foundation for mature skin. It blends seamlessly and doesn’t settle into fine lines and wrinkles. This is a buildable full-coverage formula with a satin finish. It’s cruelty-free and one of the best vegan foundation for mature skin. There are 8 shades to choose from.
The Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift & Firm Makeup is one of the best foundations for wrinkles. This is a cream foundation created using Elizabeth Arden’s Ceramide Plumping Technology (CPT) which is a formula that helps to smooth out wrinkles and fine lines. It works by firming, lifting and re-densifying the look of wrinkled skin, giving it a younger appearance.
The Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift & Firm Makeup works with wrinkled skin on different parts of the body, including the forehead. The CPT formula makes it one of the best foundations for forehead wrinkles
This foundation contains Ceramide Triple Complex, which is an ingredient that helps to strengthen and re-texturize the skin. Ceramide Triple Complex also helps the skin retain its moisture. Other ingredients include powerful anti-oxidants such as vitamins A, C and E.
The Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift & Firm Makeup contains Mica and Alumina which are highly reflective light diffusers and helps to blur the appearance of wrinkles. It creates a soft-focus effect on your skin, making it appear smooth and young.
This is a medium coverage foundation that is buildable to full coverage. It provides a radiant finish and has sun protection of SPF 15. There are 10 shades to choose from.
The Estee Lauder Perfectionist Youth-Infusing Makeup is the best hydrating foundation for mature skin. This foundation is formulated with Estee Lauder’s “Perfectionist Serum Technology” which is a formula containing advanced amino acids and proteins to strengthen your skin’s natural resistance towards wrinkles and fine lines.
Key Anti-aging ingredients include:
- Artemia Extract – A zooplackton obtained via marine biotechnology to support your skin’s natural collagen and fibronectin.
- Chlorella Vulgaris Extract – a extract of micro-algae that helps your skin’s structural proteins.
Key Hydrating ingredients include:
- Glyerin – Helps improve skin’s moisture content
- Glyceryl Polymethacrylate – Helps to create a protective barrier on your skin to reduce water loss.
This is a medium coverage foundation that is buildable to full coverage. It’s oil-free, non-drying, non-comedogenic and fragrance free. It’s tested by Dermatologists and Ophthalmologists and it’s safe for sensitive skin and eyes.
- Vitamin A – helps to stimulate collagen production and reduce wrinkles
- Vitamin E – An antioxidant that is effective at combating the effects of free radicals and slow down the signs of aging.
- Olive Leaf Extract – helps to absorb excess oil and cleanses pores.
- Lemon Fruit Extract – helps to tighten pores to give skin a smoother appearance.
- Papaya Fruit Extract – an exfoliant that helps to remove impurities dead skin cells
This is a medium to full coverage foundation with sun protection SPF 20. It has an amazing ability to hide large pores, giving your skin a smooth appearance. This combined with anti-aging ingredients listed above makes it one of the best foundation for mature skin with large pores.
It does not contain parabens, oil or fragrance.
BTW, I have written a detailed guide on the best oil-free foundations. Check it out if you have time.
Best Drugstore Foundations for Mature Skin
The L’Oréal True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup is one of the best drugstore foundation for large pores and wrinkles. This is a sheer to medium buildable coverage foundation that can cover large pores last up to 8 hours.
It contains vitamins C and E, which are strong antioxidants that help fight against the body’s free radicals and slows down the effects of aging. Vitamin E can also help to protect cell membranes and prevents damages to enzymes associated with them. This effect reduces wrinkles and improves skin texture.
This foundation is very lightweight and comfortable to wear all day. It is formulated with sun protection SPF 20..
This foundation contains 40% pure water, giving your skin the hydration it needs throughout the day. It also uses L’Oréal’s Liquid Light Technology, which reflects light to give your skin a luminous glow. It contains Rosa, an ingredient with anti-inflammatory properties that can minimize redness and irritation.
And of course, being a drugstore foundation, it’s very affordable.
This L’Oreal Paris foundation is a full-coverage anti-aging foundation for senior skin. If you are budget-minded and are simply looking for something that works, then you may want to take a look at this foundation. There are many color options available for this product and you can literally find it in every drugstore in town. It is one of the best drugstore foundations for mature skin.
This foundation is lightweight and very easy to blend on aging skin. It’s SPF 17. It contains important anti-aging ingredients like hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and retinol A. It even rubs off your clothes if you accidentally get it on there. This is a fragrance-free foundation for mature skin.
This is a full coverage foundation for mature skin over 60.
One problem I have with this foundation is the pump bottle. Seems like I can never get some of the product out using just the pump.
The covergirl + Olay Simply Ageless 3-in-1 Foundation is one of the best drugstore foundations for mature dry skin. It’s formulated with a special hyaluronic complex which is a moisture binding formula to help your skin retain moisture and to keep it plumped. It also contains vitamin C, an antioxidant that fights your body’s free radicals and slows down the effects of aging.
This is a medium to full coverage foundation that is easy to blend and doesn’t settle into fine lines or wrinkles. It helps to improve your skin tone by maintaining collagen levels.
This is called a “3-in-1” foundation because it reduces wrinkles, evens skin tone and delivers firming hydration. This foundation is cruelty free.
Ani-Aging Foundations and Mature Skin: What You Need to Know
Best Anti-Aging Ingredients in Foundation Makeup
- Extract from Green Tea – Polyphenols are nutrients present in tea that helps in the fighting of free radicals. Creams and lotions with polyphenols help to slow down the signs of aging on the skin. They also help to minimize wrinkles and skin sagging.
- Hyaluronic Acid – A makeup ingredient that helps to reduce the signs of skin aging. Hyaluronic acid is naturally produced by the body and plays a role in tissue cushioning and lubrication. It is present in connective tissues, fluid of joints and skin.
- Retinol – This is an ingredient produced from Vitamin A. It reduces wrinkles on the face, increases the production of collagen and maintains skin plumpness. Retinol also enhances the tone and color of the skin and minimizes spots.
- Vitamin C – A condition that is associated with skin aging is the reduced production of elastin and collagen. Vitamin C contains antioxidants that increase collagen production and reduce scars and wrinkles.
- Coenzyme Q-10 – This enzyme is produced by the body and acts as an antioxidant. The production of this enzyme reduces as you age. As a result, skin cells are more vulnerable to damage by radicals as you age. Coenzyme Q-10 is useful for reducing wrinkles formed around the eyes.
Is Liquid or Powder Foundation Better For Aging Skin?
For most people, liquid foundation is better for aging skin. Your choice between a powder foundation or a liquid foundation for aging skin will depend on your skin type.
Here’s what you need to consider:
Dry Aging skin
Choose a liquid foundation with hydrating and anti-aging properties. A good foundation in this category will contain some of the ingredients mentioned in the section above.
A full coverage liquid foundation works best for dry aging skin. That’s because it can help you cover age spots, dry skin patches and other visible mature skin issues. A liquid foundation also does a good job filling in fine lines and wrinkles. Avoid matte liquid foundations as they will dry your skin even more.
Combination Aging Skin
Choose an oil-free liquid foundation with hydrating and anti-aging properties. A good foundation in this category will contain some of the ingredients mentioned in the section above and that it is also oil-free.
Using an oil-free liquid foundation can help hydrate your dry skin patches while absorbing oil from oily-skin patches. Choose one that is full coverage for best results.
Oily Aging Skin
Choose a medium coverage oil-free foundation and a full coverage powder foundation. Ideally, both foundations should have hydrating and anti-aging properties. Good foundations in this category will contain some of the ingredients mentioned in the section above.
The medium coverage oil-free foundation helps to hydrate your skin without adding extra oil. Setting it with a full coverage powder foundation will help to absorb any extra oil on your skin throughout the day. The full coverage powder foundation also helps to cover areas that the medium coverage liquid foundation could not cover.
How Do You Keep Foundation From Settling Into Wrinkles?
The best way to keep foundation from settling into wrinkles is to first apply a hydrating primer and then blend the foundation on top with a beauty blender. The primer helps to fill in fine lines and wrinkles, protects your skin and provides a smooth surface for your foundation application.
Doing it this way will ensure that your foundation won’t settle into wrinkles because your primer would have filled them in, so there is nothing to “settle” into.
What is Mature Skin? How Can I Recognize it?
There are changes that occur to your skin as you grow older. As you age, the inner layer of the skin becomes thinner. Mitosis (the process that your body uses to replace worn-out cells) slows down. Healing of wounds becomes slow and injuries are more likely to occur. Aged skin is less elastic which results in sagging of the skin and the formation of wrinkles.
Your oil-secreting glands will also degenerate. This degeneration leaves the skin unprotected, scaly and dry.
Repetitive facial expressions result in frown lines (found between the eyes) and crow’s feet (seen originating from the corners of the eyes). Gravity causes your tissues and skin to sag which results in jowls and dropping eyelids.
Is Having Mature Skin Inevitable or Preventable?
YES! Mature skin is preventable and also correctable. In fact, a lot of cosmetic products are available that can help your wrinkles look less noticeable. Unfortunately, having mature skin is inevitable because every part of your body undergoes aging and the skin is no exception.
Retin-A has proven to be very helpful for wrinkles. Unfortunately, Retin-A is a drug that can only be obtained through your doctor’s prescription. Luckily, products that contain retinol (a derivative of Retin-A) can be brought without prescription at any cosmeceutical. With the right skincare product, we can prevent or correct wrinkles.
Daily Habits That Can Cause Your Skin To Age Faster
- Exposing The Skin to Cold Temperatures: Your skin becomes dry when you expose it to cold winds or low temperatures. It is advisable to use a moisturizer when going out in the cold. Moisturizers should also be used indoors during the winter months as heat can also make the skin dry. You may want to consider using humidifiers to make your skin comfortable.
- Smoking: Smoking causes great harm to the skin by making it drier. Smoking creates carbon monoxide which displaces the oxygen that your skin requires. Furthermore, nicotine reduces the flow of blood to your skin, leaving it dry and pale. Smoking also reduces Vitamin C which plays a role in moisturizing and keeping your skin plumped.
- Consuming Alcohol: When you drink alcohol wrecks your skin. This is because alcohol dilates the small blood vessels in your body which increase the flow of blood near the surface of the skin. As a result, you will see reddened areas and broken vessels on the surface of your skin.
- Not Exercising: Exercising daily keeps your muscles toned. Increased blood flow also helps to keep your skin nourished and vital.
- Exposure To The Sun: Photoaging is a process in which skin undergoes aging due to the exposure of sunlight. The ultraviolet A (UVA) and B (UVB) are the two types of sun rays that are harmful to the skin. Most of the symptoms seen in early skin aging are a result of ultraviolet radiation exposure. If you are concerned that your skin may become damaged due to sunlight exposure, consider getting a foundation with SPF.