If I had to rank the importance of each of the tools in my makeup “arsenal” as a professional artist, I would rank my chair as the #1 most important piece of equipment for both myself and my clients. This is especially important during those long and exhausting makeup sessions where it is very important to stay comfortable.
At first glance, most makeup chairs look the same. They actually kind of look like a director’s chair, you know, like the ones you see in the movies. However, a makeup chair is not the same as a director’s chair as most makeup chairs come with additional features that make both you and your client comfortable.
It’s important to point out that if you’re serious about your makeup career, you are going to need at least 2 of the makeup chairs. This will allow you to do makeup on your client while sitting down and thus saving your back from excess fatigue.
Here are some points to consider when choosing the right makeup chair:
- Portability – This is by far the most important thing to consider and luckily many makeup chairs these days are fold-able. You will probably be traveling often to meet up with clients which means the smaller you can fold your chair, the easier it is to carry with you. Some chairs come with a travel bag (with wheels) to help you protect it while in transit.
- Comfort – This is #2 on my list as your client needs to feel comfortable during the session. Pick a seat with good back support, headrest, and footrest. To keep it fold-able, most seats are made of cloth which means you won’t get that nice cushion. To make this right for my clients, I often bring along a seat cushion to place on top of the cloth. This has received good feedback from clients.
- Stability – You’re going to find that manufacturers use 2 main types of materials to build makeup chairs: wood or aluminum. Wood is often sturdier but it’s also heavier. You really can’t go wrong with either material though. Make sure the base has grips to keep it from slipping.
- Storage – You’re going to need a chair that has some pockets for holding your brushes and makeup. A fold-able tray is also nice if your client to place a drink or cellphone.
- Easily Washable – You’re gonna get some makeup on the chair, it’s pretty hard to avoid. So make sure that your chair can be disassembled easily and washable pieces can be put in the washer for easy cleaning.
Here’s why this chair is great:
- Very easy to fold
- Comes with carrying case
- Good 29 inch seat height
- It comes with a mini-ring LED light.
- Has a full-length footrest bar
- The armrests are foam padded
- Has a side storage bag, brush holders and storage net
- The legs have anti-slip grips.
- Has a side tray for holding cell phones and drinks.
This makeup chair really has everything you would expect from a good makeup chair. It looks simple and professional. I highly recommend this chair for any professional makeup artist.
The Ever Advanced Medium Tall Foldable Makeup Artist Chair is one of the best makeup chairs for back pain relief. This chair has a padded, full back design which makes it easy for you to attach an additional lower back cushion for extra lower back support.
The seat height is 23.6 inches (60cm). The average height of females in the states is 5 feet 4 inches, making this chair an ideal height for getting on or off. The is also has 17.6 inches wide and a weight capacity of 300LBS, making it ideal for women of all sizes.
It contains a side table with a built-in cup holder and it can be folded in 1-step. The chair also folds down to help save space. The armrests are padded for extra comfort.
It comes with a side storage bag and bottom mesh for extra storage space.
The TuscanyPro Portable Big Daddy Heavy-Duty Tall Makeup Chair is one of the best makeup chairs for working long hours. This chair has a 2 level footrest bar and padded armrests for maximum comfort. It is constructed with soft polyester fabric and a 24 inch (61 cm) wide seat design that can support up to 375 lbs.
The seat height is 29 inches and the chair requires only 1 step to open or fold. It also folds down to help save more space. It is lightweight and weighs only 15 pounds.
The frame is made of reinforced aluminum tubing. It comes with anti-tipping leg stabilizers and a side foldable tray. The side tray comes with a cup holder.
There is a side bag and mesh under the chair for extra storage. Due to all these great features, you can easily take it with you when you travel, making it one of the best travel makeup chairs available.
The CHENGL Makeup Chair is one of the best portable makeup chairs with headrest. The frame of this chair is made of 1.2mm powder-coated aluminum tube which is very stable. It uses 1680D nylon fabric which is easy to clean, lightweight and comfortable.
It comes with a headrest and footrest for ultimate comfort, making it one of the best makeup chairs for clients as well.
The seat and backrest are waterproof and antiperspirant. The chair is foldable, compact and easy to carry. It only takes minutes to install. It weighs about 8KG (17.6lb). The headrest sits at 54.5 inches.