Knowing your skin type is important in choosing the right foundation for you. It is even more important to determine if you have sensitive skin because this is one of the hardest skin types to look after. With so many brands and information out there, you may get confused while shopping for a foundation that works for you. So what is the best foundation for sensitive skin? Let’s find out by learning a little bit more about your sensitive skin type and products that are currently on the market.
Best Hypoallergenic Foundations For Sensitive Skin List
The Bella Terra Mineral Foundation is one of the best mineral powder foundations for sensitive skin. This foundation works well for sensitive skin because it’s not formulated with preservatives, dyes or harmful chemicals.
The color pigments of this foundation are derived from natural minerals such as red, yellow and black iron oxides.
It is free of common skin irritants like:
- Toxic Chemcials
- Bismuth Oxychloride
It’s formulated with titanium dioxide-based sun protection (SPF 15) which will keep your skin safe under UVA and UVB rays. It is also recommended by dermatologists and cosmetologists for people who have acne-prone skin.
This foundation can be used as a light coverage setting powder. It’s buildable to full coverage when additional layers are buffed in with a blending brush. This product is 100% cruelty-free.
This little bottle of magic has been really popular lately. It comes in a 1.69 ounce bottle but if used correctly, it could last you for 3 weeks. It contains Botanical ingredients, such as mugwort and pumpkin which provide nourishment for your skin. For people with sensitive skin, the cream protects against redness and irritations. It’s a multifunction product that allows you to use it as a foundation or makeup base. It is good for concealing the different types of discoloration including acne, age spots, and sunspots. It has an SPF of 42 which is great for protection against the scorching sun. It’s also one of the best BB creams for rosacea.
Generally, you wouldn’t need to use a concealer with this product. Apply one full pump in the morning and then set it with powder and you will be good to go. This cream lasts longer when you pair it with some primer. The light perfume smell feels luxurious and the coverage does not feel “cakey”. It also doesn’t leave any streaks at all. Concerned about the fragrance? Many people have reported that the product is safe for sensitive skin.
Still not convinced? Check out this review and application instructions video from xteeener on this product:
This product has reviewed rave reviews and many satisfied customers! We definitely recommend this product!
BTW, if you want to know more foundations that work great for rosacea, check out my guide on foundations for rosacea.
This powder foundation is very light and does the job without you feeling like you have a mask on your face. The fine powders are very suitable for sensitive skin with ingredients that are clinically tested for skin irritations and allergies.
As it is a powder, the product doesn’t contain any oils. It doesn’t block pores and gives your skin a natural or matte finish. Some ingredients that make this product awesome are:
- Mica – It is transparent and has opalescent properties. It has a sparkly white appearance and it’s what gives your face that shiny look.
- Boron Nitride – Helps to keep makeup on longer. It is great for absorbing oil and provides a smooth feel to your skin.
- Dimethicone – When applied to the skin, it provides a silky feel. It acts as a water repellent and forms a protective barrier on the skin. it helps to fill in wrinkles and provides a plump look.
It’s fragrance-free which very important for reducing the chances of irritations on sensitive skin.
The packaging features a sifter that can be easily twisted open for use when you need it. When you are done, simply close the sifter and lock it in place. This design ensures that the powder stayings inside the container and nothing fall out! On average, the product can last 2 to 3 months on regular use.
Maybelline is truly making a big name for themselves by coming out with one great product after another. This liquid mousse foundation provides your skin with a flawless look by minimizing your pores while creating a smooth finish. At a price point of less than $10 dollars, this product gives you a quick foundation fix without breaking the bank. The product has an air-whipped liquid formula that allows it to feel as light as air (like a Mousse) and the blending ability of a liquid. Other functions that make it good for sensitive skin are:
- Fragrance-Free – A must for anyone with sensitive skin.
- Won’t Clog pores – Allows your skin to breathe all day.
- Dermatologist and allergy tested – Key features that we make sure products have that manufactures provide for all of their foundation products.
- Oil-Free – Great feature for those who have really oily skin or dry patches.
The product contains a very small amount of Butylene Glycol which is an organic alcohol used as a conditioning agent and does not irritate the skin. As a matter of fact, the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) Board has conducted research on this substance and concluded that it is safe to use in cosmetics if manufacturers follow regulations.
We recommend the Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation because it is a great multi-purpose product that works well on sensitive skin. With a low price tag, this bottle is a good “bang for the buck”. The product has received tons of positive reviews that reflect on the quality and usefulness of this product. If you are looking for an easy and cheap foundation that looks after your sensitive skin, this product is worth a try!
Another great foundation that often goes unnoticed is this mineral foundation from L’Oreal. The product comes in a 0.35 ounce container but doesn’t let the size fool you. This foundation can last quite a long time on regular use and it is 100% preservative-free. Other functions include an SPF of 19 which is perfect for activities under the sun. The product has been tested to be safe with sensitive skin and is fragrance-free.
We also like the brush that comes with it. The soft and short bristles allow you to tap. swirl and apply without excess powder. The powder does not transfer or slide off, even in hot areas! the product is not chalky and feels light! For a product that is under 20 dollars and with tons of positive customer reviews, this is another great recommended product that you should take a look at.
The EVXO Organic Liquid Mineral Foundation is one of the best natural foundations for sensitive skin. This foundation is all-natural and gluten-free. It’s formulated with skin-soothing ingredients suited for sensitive skin including:
- Chamomile – has anti-inflammatory properties that help to calm inflammation.
- Thyme – helps to treat blemishes caused by acne bacteria
- Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice – has a cooling effect which helps to soothe skin irritation.
Other notable skincare ingredients include:
- Vitamins E – anti-oxidant that helps to fight free radicals of the body and slows down the aging process.
- Olive Leaf Extract – helps to cleanse the pores and absorb excess oil.
- Rosemary Leaf Extract – helps to improve skin complexion by lightening dark spots and blemishes
All ingredients are derived from plants. The formula does not contain fillers, plastic, alcohol, silicone, perfume, toxins, parabens, sulfates or nanoparticles.
This is a light to medium coverage foundation with a natural finish. It comes with a push-button dropper to help you control the right amount of makeup to use.
It is vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free and proudly made in the USA.
Best Foundation for Sensitive Oily Skin
Ideally, the best foundation for sensitive oily skin is one that is in powder form and made of 100% natural ingredients that will not trigger allergic reactions on your skin. Powder foundations do an excellent job of soaking up excess oils on your skin, keeping you comfortable for a longer period.
For these reasons, I recommend Bare Minerals Loose Powder Matte Foundation with SPF 15. Here is why this foundation is so good for sensitive skin:
- SLS free
- Synthetic Fragrance-free
- PEG free
- Tree Nut Free
- Preservatives free
- Phthalates free
There isn’t a foundation that is 100% hypoallergenic but the Bare Minerals Loose Powder Matte Foundation is promising. It’s free from any harmful ingredients listed above and comes with SPF 15 sun protection.
Being a powder foundation, it’s great for soaking up excess oil and this foundation provides you a matte finish to reduce that oily shine. The coverage is buildable to full coverage. It feels lightweight and does not settle into lines and wrinkles.
As with most powder foundations, this one is non-comedogenic which means it won’t clog your pores, Further the foundation is non-acnegenic and is formulated with 6 clean ingredients including lauroyl lysine (for skin conditioning), silica, calcium silicate (for oil-absorbing), mica, titanium dioxide, and iron oxides. It’s even recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation as an effective broad-spectrum sunscreen.
You get a ton of value with this foundation. There are 30 shades to choose from and I am sure you can find a shade that matches your skin tone. This is also one of the best natural foundations for sensitive skin.
BTW, if you’re looking for more foundations that won’t clog your pores, check out my detailed guide on non-comedogenic foundations.
Best Drugstore Foundation for Sensitive Skin
The best drugstore foundation for sensitive skin is the Physician’s Formula Healthy Foundation. This foundation is super affordable and here is why it works well with sensitive skin:
- Clinically tested and Dermatologists Approved.
Being a drugstore foundation, the Physician’s Formula Healthy Foundation surprised us with the benefits it offers. It’s infused with hyaluronic acid to provide your skin with deep hydration. It contains vitamins A, C & E to keep your skin healthy. It even comes with sunblock of SPF 20.
This is a lightweight, medium coverage foundation that is buildable to full coverage. There are 24 shades available.
For those that are not familiar with this brand, I’ve reviewed them in my post of the top hypoallergenic makeup brands. Simply put, Physician’s Formula is known for its line up makeup that is hypoallergenic safe for sensitive skin and eyes.
This foundation provides a lot of value for the price and is worth a try.
Best Fragrance-Free Foundation for Sensitive Skin
My favorite fragrance-free foundation for sensitive skin is the Dermablend Flawless Creator Multi-Use Liquid Foundation. This is a vegan formula foundation that is light coverage but buildable to full coverage. It’s also lightweight, non-comedogenic and paraben’s free. It is an oil-free formula that will give you good oil control throughout the day. It’s made with concentrated pigments which means the color will last longer on your skin (up to 16 hours).
This foundation great for sensitive skin because it’s formulated with only a few ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Silica, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Dimethiconol, Aluminum hydroxide.
The formula is:
There are 20 shades to choose from.
If you need to use sunblock, it’s best to apply the sunblock under the foundation. Allow some time for your sunblock to settle before applying this foundation on top. If you need to reapply sunblock during the day, I recommend using a powder foundation with high SPF on top.
How to Select Foundations For Sensitive Skin
Selecting the right foundation can be tricky because sensitive skin is harder to maintain. You can’t even apply sunscreen if you don’t want an outbreak or use makeup that may irritate it. Even foundation products intended for sensitive skin may still cause negative reactions. However, there are a few pointers that you can use to treat even the worst skin issues, such as the following:
- Don’t use foundations with harsh chemicals. Chemicals such as retinol, benzoyl peroxide, and PABA are only a few of those that you need to avoid. You need to make it a habit to carefully look at the ingredients used in your products. The safer products to use are those that are made of organic or natural products. The simpler the ingredients, the better it usually is for your skin.
- Avoid foundations with synthetic perfumes or dyes. Instead, choose natural products that do not contain parabens or fragrance. But read the labels carefully instead of believing those products that are claiming to be “organic” or “natural.” The fewer the ingredients are, the better.
- Find a foundation that is water-based, oil-free, and non-comedogenic. These are usually more expensive than other types of cosmetic products, but they are kinder to your skin, making them great investments.
Tips For Using Foundations on Sensitive Skin
You need to put extra care into choosing skincare products for your sensitive skin. Aside from reading labels, the following things might help:
- Be picky when it comes to choosing your foundation. Products that are designed to stay on your skin for a long time may be harder to remove. Extremely sensitive skin does not need a facial scrub every day. The harsher the skincare product is, the less frequent it should be used on your face.
- Be extra attentive to your skin, observe it carefully. This is the most important step in taking care of sensitive facial skin because it will determine which products are good for your skin and which aren’t. The moment you notice redness, itchiness, swelling, or any other issues, stop your current facial regimen right away. Treat your skin, but don’t overdo it either.
- Use foundations with moisturizers to prevent premature wrinkles from surfacing. However, it should be suitable for your sensitive skin. Find one that is fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, and dermatologist recommended. Ask your dermatologist for advice.
- If you use a toner or astringent, find one that does not contain alcohol. Apply it to oily areas, but stop using it once you see redness on your skin. A natural toner would be a safer choice.
Silicone-based foundations also pose a lower risk of irritating the skin. The AAD also recommends refraining from the use of waterproof foundations, because they are harder to remove and need a special cleanser to get them off your skin. If you’re interested to know more about silicone-based foundations, check out my guide here.
Familiarize yourself with the chemicals that are sensitive skin irritants. Don’t use skincare products that contain alcohol, deodorant or antibacterial ingredients, and alpha-hydroxy acids or retinoids, among others. You should also avoid products with lactic acid, glycolic acid, and azelaic acid.
What Is Sensitive Skin and What Are Its Signs?
Sensitive skin is often thin and delicate with small pores. It gets irritated by medications or harsh soaps, shows a drastic change due to the changing weather, and reacts to stress.
When shaved, sensitive skin usually turns blotchy, gets rashes, or feels itchy. It’s safer to find a hair removal product designed for sensitive skin.
Since sensitive skin is often dry, it can easily get irritating when you use harsh soaps or those with fragrance. It would be best to buy fragrance-free and gentle soaps, bubble bath, or shower gel instead.
Sensitive skin does not react well to aftershave or perfume, as well, because of their chemicals that often cause rashes, blotches, or a burning sensation. Spray your perfume on your clothing instead.
Harsh weather isn’t kind to sensitive skin either. Cold weather can cause skin irritation and dryness, while hot weather can cause redness, heat rash, and/or tightness.
The most common body parts with sensitive skin are the face, legs, and arms.
Typical Conditions Associated with Sensitive Skin
We have made a few recommendations for finding the best foundation for sensitive skin. To highlight the importance of this mission, check out the types of conditions that may arise if you don’t take care of your skin properly:
People with sensitive skin usually suffer from the following conditions:
- Acne. It is a swelling on the skin caused by sebum, skin cells, and hair clumped together to form a plug that is infected by bacteria.
- Contact dermatitis. It is a skin inflammation caused by substances that cause an allergic reaction or irritation.
- Psoriasis. It is characterized by itchy, red, and scaly patches on the skin.
- Eczema. It is a medical condition, wherein patches of skin become inflamed and rough, with blisters bleeding and itching.
- Rosacea. It is a skin condition, wherein some facial blood vessels enlarge, creating a flushed appearance of the nose and cheeks.
These are the basic things that you need to know to maintain sensitive skin. Don’t let this condition rule your life by knowing exactly what you need to do and what you have to avoid.