Having acne on your forehead can be frustrating. It’s right smack in the front for face, is red and hurts to the touch. Most importantly, it’s not pleasant to look at and may even decrease your self-esteem. If you’re struggling with acne on your forehead, this post aims to help you by providing some background information on what they are and what you can do to get rid of them using Do It Yourself (DIY) methods at home.
DIY Treatment Options for Different Causes of Acne
Here are some causes for the acne on your forehead:
1. Forehead Acne are Commonly Caused By Haircare Products or By Hats (Clogged Hair Follicles).
The constant rubbing of your hat on your forehead causes excessive heat and friction which creates blockage of your pores. This type of acne is called Acne Mechanica and is common among athletes. If you find that your breakouts started after you started wearing a hat regularly, chances are, the hat is the cause of your misery. Luckily, you can fix this one easily.
DIY methods to get rid acne on forehead caused by clogged hair follicles:
- If you’re wearing a hat made of synthetic fabrics, try to find another that is made from natural fabrics (like breathable cotton). This will help your skin breathe and decrease the heat that is trapped between your skin and the fabric.
- If you really like your hat, try taking it off from time to time to allow your skin to breathe. You can also try to wear a cotton head cap under your hat to reduce friction and heat.
Another common cause of blocked hair follicles are haircare products. This includes hairspray, hair gel and hair wax. The ingredients from these products can cause irrigation on your skin. This creates blockage of your pores and eventually breakouts. To combat this one, look for haircare products that are non-comedogenic or ones that are made from natural ingredients. If you’re applying foundation on your forehead, use ones that are non-comedogenic.
2. They May Be Caused By Bacteria Or Poor Hygiene
Bacteria that is trapped underneath your skin triggers your immune system to respond and as a result, the area breaks out with acne and looks red. The redness is caused by your own immune system response to the acne bacteria.
DIY methods to get rid acne on forehead caused by bacteria:
- Start a regular skincare routine to remove excess oil and dead skin from your forehead. This will help to reduce the bacteria culture and the chances of breakout.
- Put some ice on the pimple to reduce inflammation.
- Put a cucumber on the acne area. Cucumbers have a natural cooling effect that can reduce inflammation.
- Try using a yogurt and honey mask. This one is less known but works perfectly. This is because yogurts have strong benefits for your skin. Yogurt contains lactic acid, which is great for dead skin cells and helps to prevent breakouts. Honey on the other hand is antibacterial, which is great for acne treatment. To make this mask, simply use 3-parts plain yogurt to 1-part honey and mix in a bowl. Apply a thin layer of the mixture to your forehead. Leave on for 15 mins and wash everything off. Do this once and day and you will feel a difference.
- Try an over the counter acne treatment medication. This one is the last one on my list if you’ve run out of other options. Always consult with your doctor first before going down this route.
3. They May be Caused by Excess Oil Production, Stress or Hormone issues
There are different factors that may trigger excessive oil production on your skin. These factors include age, environment, stress, genetics, diet, hormones among other factors. However, the treatment and prevention in these cases are usually simple.
Always remember to clean your forehead regularly to remove excess oil and dead-skin. Participate in activities such as yoga to reduce stress and balance your diet to include more fruits and vegetables.