A hair spa is a great way to restore the shine and moisture in your hair. If your hair has recently gone through a hair smoothing treatment, such as a keratin treatment, you may be wondering how you can do your own hair spa at home without ruining the smoothing effect on your hair.
The best way to do a hair spa at home after smoothening is to do a hot oil treatment using coconut oil. Simply heat up the coconut oil for 10 -15 seconds and apply to clean hair. Leave the oil on your hair for 20 minutes then rinse clean with warm water.
Use Coconut Oil To Maintain Smooth Hair
A hot oil treatment created with coconut oil is perfect to use after hair smoothing. Studies have shown that coconut oil helps to reduce the protein loss for both undamaged and damaged hair. Coconut oil is a triglyceride of lauric acid and has similar characteristics to hair proteins. It has low molecular weight and a straight linear chain, making it possible for it to penetrate inside the hair shaft.
How to Make Coconut Hot Oil Treatment At Home
Note that although this treatment is called the “hot oil treatment”, the temperature of the oil you use should be warm to the touch. Be careful not to overheat the oil. Always test the temperature of the oil before using it.
What You Will Need:
- Coconut Oil
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Unwanted T-shirt or Towel
- Large Plastic Sheet (Food Wrap)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
What You Need To Do:
- Wash your hair. Clean hair makes it easier for the coconut oil to penetrate the hair cuticle.
- Add 4-7 tablespoons of coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it for 10-15 seconds. Note that the amount of time you need will depend on the strength of your microwave. Be careful not to overheat the oil. The oil should be warm to the touch.
- It’s possible that oil may end up on your clothes during the application. If you want to be safe, put on a T-shirt that you don’t want or put a towel over your shoulders.
- Comb through your hair to take out any knots.
- Apply the warm coconut oil to your hair. Ensure to apply evenly from scalp to roots. Use your fingers to comb through the hair for even distribution. Repeat step 2 if you need more oil.
- Please a plastic sheet around your head (like a hoodie) to help lock in the oil. Keep it on for around 20 mins.
- After 20 minutes, rinse out the coconut oil completely, apply your regular conditioner, and rinse again until the hair is clean.
Use Argan Oil, Olive Oil, and Honey Hair Mask After Hair Smoothening
Studies have shown that argan oil has a protective effect on the hair and helps to reduce your hair’s protein loss from hair damaging activities like dyeing and smoothening.
Honey, when used as a conditioner for treating hair, has shown to help smooth out and bind together the outermost parts of the hair. This makes the hair appear “fuller” as individual hairs will less likely bind together.
When used in hair growth conditioners, extra virgin olive oil is mild and very moisturizing which makes it perfect for those with sensitive skin. It is also high in oleic acid which helps to support skin cell regeneration and retain moisture to the hair.
How to Make Argan Oil, Olive Oil, and Honey Hair Mask After Hair Smoothening
What You Need:
- Organic Honey (Raw)
- Extra- Virgin Oilive Oil
- Pure Argan Oil (100%)
- Small pot
- Hair Brush
What You Need to Do:
- Add 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive, 1 tbsp of argan oil, and 1 tbsp of honey into a small pot.
- Mix all ingredients together with a whisk on low heat. You don’t want to burn the ingredients. Apply just enough heat to melt the honey so it would be easier to mix.
- Once everything is mixed, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down. The mixture should be warm to the touch before using.
- Apply to your hair using your hands or a brush. Ensure to cover from roots to tail.
- After 20 minutes, rinse out the mixture completely, apply your regular conditioner, and rinse again until the hair is clean.