One secret to improving your facial appearance is to have a chiseled jawline. Having a strong and chiseled jawline makes your face look slimmer and with more definition. There are numerous ways in which you can achieve that beautiful jawline. In this post, we will go over each of the ways in detail. Each method that we are about to discuss is easy to do and if you do them properly, you will see results. We only share natural methods, so these methods will not include anything like plastic surgery or the use of botox.
How To Get a Sharper Jawline with Makeup
One of the easiest ways to improve jawline appearance is to train yourself to use highlights properly. You need to highlight your cheeks to bring out the shape of your jawline.
Here is what you will need:
- A foundation (powder or liquid) that is slightly darker than your natural skin tone.
- A highlighter that is slightly lighter than your natural skin tone.
- A blush
- A bronzer that is slightly darker than your natural skin tone
- A blending brush for application
Here is what you need to do:
- Properly prime and prep your face
- With the darker foundation, draw a line along your cheek bone and blend it from your ear to the corner of your mouth.
- Add a slight hint on your blush to this area provide your cheeks with more glow.
- Use your highlighter above your blush to further define your cheekbones.
- Tilt your chin up to see where your jawline is. Sweep bronzer at a downward angle on either side of your chins.
** Note: Remember to blend with your brush to make the look as natural as possible.
This technique works because the darker foundation creates a shadow while your highlighter draws more attention to your cheekbones. The blush provides some glow for the cheeks. The bronzer on your chins draw out your jawline. The over effect lifts your face forward which gives your jawline a more defined look.
How To Get a Sharper Jawline with Hairstyles
Hairstyle is something that is often overlooked but plays a big role in defining your jawline. To select the best hairstyle for your face, you need to know your face shape.
Face shapes are generally categorized as follows:
- Heart – You have a heart-shaped face if your face is wider at the forehead and narrower at the chin. The good news for you is that people with heart-shaped face already have a defined jawline. This means you can choose choppy bangs or pixie cuts. If you are going for long, choose lighter layers around your jawline to show them off.
- Square – You have a square-shaped face if your jawline is more angular. Hairstyles that works best for you are the ones that will soften your jawline. Curly and wave styles usually will do the trick.
- Diamond – You have a diamond-shaped face if your cheekbones measure wider than your forehead. Again, curly and waves will usually do the trick to help soften your jawline and they are usually my go-to recommendation for people with a diamond-shaped face.
- Round – You have a round-shaped face if your jaw, cheekbones, and forehead are equal in width. You will also have a jaw that appears round. Hairstyles that works well with a round face are shoulder length hairstyles with layers that help to shape your jawline. Avoid short styles as they will make your face look wider.
- Long – You have a long face shape if your face is longer than it is wide. People with a long face shape usually have the appearance of a strong jawline already. You could go with bangs or bobs that land on your chin.
- Oval – You have an oval face shape if your face length is half times your face width. Hairstyles that work with long and round face shapes will also work for you. Think shoulder length hairstyles, bangs, and bobs.
If you are not sure which hairstyle to go for. You can always use online photo editing tools and hairstyle testing tools to find the right look. Besides using the right highlights, I would say that selecting the right hairstyle is the #2 most important tip for you to achieve a beautiful jawline look. This part simply should not be ignored.
How to Get a Sharper Jawline with Diet
Reduce Sodium Consumption
Here is something that most people do not know: cutting down salt in your diet can help you slim down your face. This is because salt causes your body to retain water which makes your face fuller. This claim has also been verified by the American Journal of Kidney Diseases. With the number of foods that contain salt these days, what should you eat? Here are a few items recommended by Healthline.com
- Snack and Vegetables
- Yogurt (Not Ice cream)
- Fermented Foods and Beverages
- Whole-grain foods
They also recommend staying hydrated which will reduce water retention and bloating. The next time you go eat, keep these food items in mind.
How To Get a Sharper Jawline with Exercises
This one takes a bit more effort and should be used in conjunction with other methods. As with all other muscles in your body, the more you exercise it, the firmer it will become. Some jaw exercises that you can incorporate in your daily life may include:
- Chewing gum
- Chin-up – Close your mouth and push your lower jaw out while lifting your lower lip
- “O” & “E” – Open your mouth and say the letters “O” and “E”. The exercise targets the muscles around the mouth.
- Pencil trick – Place pencil between your teeth and move your jaw from one side to another.
- Massage your Jaw – Place your fingers on the hinge of your jawline and massage in a circular motion.
Do these exercises consistency will ensure that your jaw, chin and mouth muscles are in good shape. Again, this isn’t a 1 shot solution for a better jawline. Use the method as maintenance for of jaw health.
Good Facial Routine
The final tip that I will leave with you today is to have a good skincare routine. No matter how good your jawline looks, your overall facial appearance will not improve if your face is covered with oil and acne.
For your makeup routine, consider using a non-comedogenic one that will not clog your pores. There are also good foundations for dry skin. Consider using a water-based foundation if you have oily skin.