One of the easiest ways to make your eyes look bigger is to use an eyeliner. However, if you don’t have an eyeliner lying around, there are other easy makeup tricks that you can do in order to make your eyes look bigger.
In this post, I connected with professional makeup artists and asked them to provide me their best tips for making eyes bigger without eyeliner.
Here’s How to Make Eyes Bigger Without Eyeliner:
Method 1 – Smooth Your Eyelids
Sharon Becker, an NYC makeup artist and go-to artist for Hearst Digital Studios’ Cosmo Body and Good Housekeeping TV suggests doing the following:
- Smooth out any discoloration on your eyelid (veins, capillaries, pigmentation) with a concealer or neutral cream eyeshadow.
- Prep the eye area with eye cream. Try using something basic like Cerave Eye Repair Cream.
- Tap on a dot of concealer on your lid, and with either your ring finger or a flat synthetic brush, blend it from your lashes up to your eyebrows. You can also use a neutral eye base, like MAC Paint Pots, in a color that matches your skin or slightly lighter. Blend on very thin layers to achieve a light and even coverage
- Lightly tap on some loose powder with a fluffy brush. Dip your brush in powder lightly, and then tap off the excess so you don’t end up with powder in your eyes or under them.
- Take a few minutes to carefully and gently curl your lashes with an eyelash curler
- Slowly and carefully apply several coats of mascara. Start at the base of your lash to create definition (a little cheat, since that what liner does) and then coat the whole lash. Tap the tips of the lashes for length and curl. Do top and bottom lashes to make your eyes look bigger.
- Use a lighter color eyeshadow, especially with a very soft shimmer (think champagne color or soft pearl) on the eyelid only to create the illusion of more space.
Method 2 – Brighten Your Eyes
Theresa Novicky, owner of Makeup By Theresa is a licensed makeup artist from Southern Maine. She has been doing makeup for weddings and photoshoots for over 8 years.
Theresa suggests the following method for making your eyes bigger without eyeliner:
- Use an eye cream nightly. she suggests Monat’s Eye Smooth Nourishing Eye Cream which will depuff your eyes because the puffiness is what’s swallowing your eyes.
- Brighten dark under circles with an illuminating concealer, use a shade slightly lighter than your foundation. Try IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Illuminating Concealer.
- Lengthen your eyelashes. Theresa uses Monat’s Lash & Brow enhancing serum twice daily after your morning cleanses and nighttime skincare routine.
- Curl your lashes, Theresa likes the Tweezerman Classic Lash Curler.
- Contour your crease! Do this by choosing an eyeshadow that is slightly darker than your skin tone. Theresa likes the color “Pooter” from the Jaclyn Hill x Morphe eye shadow palette. Be sure to pack it on and then blend it out with a blending brush.
- Always brighten the inner corners. Theresa likes to use a highlighter. The color “Enlight” from the Jaclyn Hill x Morphe eye shadow palette works amazing for the inner corners. Apply it with your ring finger.
- Brush your eyebrows up to open your eyes. Give it a nice arch. Theresa loves the Covergirl’s Easy Breezy Brow Micro-Fine Fill + Define eyebrow pencil.
- The key to making your eyes look bigger is mascara. Use a lash lengthening mascara. Try the L’Oreal Telescopic Mascara and use it on the top lash only to really open your eyes.