Nail glue contains harsh chemicals that can damage your nails over time. This is why most nail techs would recommend you to save your “fabulous fakes” for special occasions only.
However, if you love wearing your fakes (and who doesn’t?) there are things that you can do in order to protect your nails from nail glue and its damaging effects.
In this post, I connected with Chloe, a professional nail technician with 20 years of experience in the industry and owner of GlamGoodiez, and asked her to provide me her best tips on how to protect nails from nail glue.
Here’s How to Protect Your Nails From Nail Glue:
- Use the correct amount of nail glue – which is usually the size of a small glass bead.
- Don’t rip off your press-on nails, odds are a few layers of your natural nails will rip off with the fake nail.
- Soak your fingers in warm water, and use cuticle oil where your nail lifts to help work press-on nails off.
- When you have completed your press-on nail application, use cuticle oil around your nail to remove excess glue. Wash your hands immediately so the glue doesn’t seep under your nail.
Chloe also suggests you try glue tabs which are great for special occasions. These tabs can make your press-on nails reusable if you properly take them off. Some other benefits of using glue tabs are:
- No Harsh Chemicals – Glue tabs are usually made of a soft breathable jelly that is gentle on your nails and won’t cause damage to them if you know how to take the tabs off properly. They are generally safe for children, pregnant women, and people with sensitive skin.
- Easy To Use – Simply clean and dry your nails, stick on the glue tab and then press on your false nail. The whole procedure takes about 10 seconds for each finger.
- Waterproof – Glue tabs are usually waterproof giving you peace of mind when washing your hands. (Not recommended for swimming)
- Long-Lasting – Glue tabs usually last about 3-4 days under normal use. It can last up to 1 week or more if they are rarely exposed to water.
- Many Sizes – Each sheet of glue tabs usually comes in 5 different sizes. You can even use them on your toes.
Here’s How To Use Glue Tabs for Your Press-on Nails:
- Clean your nails with warm water and soap and dry them off completely.
- Select a tab that fits the press-on nail tip.
- Take the tab out place it on the press-on nail tip.
- Gently press the glue tab to make that there are no bubbles between the tab and nail tip.
- Remove the clear protective plastic on the other side of the glue tab.
- Place the press-on nail tip on top of your natural nail
- Press down on the false nail tip with gentle pressure for 3-5 seconds.
To remove the glue tabs, soak your fingers in warm water for 5 minutes and gently remove the false nail tips from your fingers. Use gentle pressure and never use excessive force as you may damage your nails.