We all love curled eyelashes as they make our eyes look bigger and prettier. However, it’s often difficult to keep them curled the way we want all day.
In this post, I will go over 3 easy makeup tricks that you can do to make your eyelashes stay curled in water, without applying mascara, and after applying mascara.
How to Make Your Eyelashes Stay Curled in Water
If you’re going for a swim or doing a photoshoot underwater, you’ll want a way to keep your eyelashes curled in water.
Here is the best way to make your eyelashes stay curled in water:
- First, curl your lashes with your lash curler, heat your curler with a blow dryer to help shape, and keep your lashes curled.
- Apply 1 coat of clear waterproof mascara gel. The gel helps to hold your curl in place and gives your lashes more strength. It also acts as a base waterproof barrier for your lashes
- Apply 2 thin coats of waterproof mascara. Allow a few minutes to let the first coat dry before applying a second coat. This first coat helps to hold your curls in place and the second coat provides extra strength. The second coat also helps to ensure that you have all strands of hair (including the roots) covered.
- Apply 1 coat of clear waterproof mascara gel on top of the waterproof mascara. This step further helps to seal in your lashes and curls.
The idea is to strengthen your lashes and then seal them in to make them as waterproof as possible.
Keep in mind that water is the worst enemy for curls and your waterproof makeup will eventually wear out. Keep a waterproof mascara and gel and curler with you in case you need to re-apply.
The method described above is good enough for a casual swim or a photoshoot in which you will be dipping your head underwater for short periods of time. These methods are not meant for situations in which your lashes will be underwater for long periods of time.
How to Make Your Eyelashes Stay Curled Without Mascara
On days when you are wearing a natural make-up look or no make-up at all, you can still look bright-eyed without mascara.
Here is the best way to make your eyelashes stay curled without Mascara:
- You’ll need to start with clean eyelashes to get the best look. If you have any mascara residue leftover from the day before, use a cotton pad soaked in micellar water to gently remove all make-up. (I’ve found that the best way to remove mascara is by pressing the cotton pad lightly over your eye for a few seconds before swiping downward a few times).
- Now move on to curling your lashes. The first method is to heat your eyelash curler with a hairdryer and then use it on your lashes. Be very careful with this method though- if the curler is too hot, you risk burning your lashes or the skin around your eye.
- You can also warm a spoon in a mug of hot water and press the curved side upward against your lashes. Hold the spoon in place for about ten seconds before moving to the next eye. This technique still works pretty well but is definitely less dangerous.
- Once your lashes are curled, use a clear lip balm or chapstick to help moisturize your lashes and add length and volume. Petroleum jelly is a great option, although you have to apply it sparingly or your lashes can look shiny.
How to Make Your Eyelashes Stay Curled after Applying Mascara
We’ve all dealt with the eternal struggle of trying to keep stubborn eyelashes open and curled all day. The best way to do this seems to be with a good waterproof mascara.
Here is the best way to make your eyelashes stay curled after applying mascara:
- Start by curling your lashes however you normally would. You can try combining this with heating your curler and then quickly applying a coat of waterproof mascara to lock in the shape. Waterproof mascara is often much thicker and more durable than regular mascara, so it acts as a kind of gel for your lashes. Since it is made to stay on even with moisture, it will even help hold your lashes in place on a humid day, during a workout, or in high heat so that you don’t have to worry about droopy lashes no matter what you’re schedule is.
- After the first coat of waterproof mascara has dried just a little, top it all off with a light layer of your normal mascara.
Humidity is one of the biggest reasons why eyelashes un-curl. The combination of waterproof mascara and regular mascara will be able to hold your lashes in shape while keeping humidity away.