One of the most popular tricks to learn in makeup is to use mascara to enlarge the appearance of your eyes. Although it may seem simple, there are some techniques you need to know in order to get it right.
In this post, I connected with talented beauty experts and asked them to share with me their best tips for making your eyes bigger with mascara.
Technique 1: Remove Natural Shadows
Melissa Bogardus, professional makeup artist and founder of her company Makeup Mel, suggests that making your eyes pop is easier when you use the best mascara.
Here’s How to Make Your Eyes Look Bigger with Mascara:
- Apply a water-resistant, light-colored concealer around eyes. The idea is to remove natural shadows on your face to create a new shape.
- Lighten on the sides of your nose where it is darkest near your eye.
- Keep the lid neutral and apply bronzer into your crease
- Use an eyelash primer (the Marc Jacobs primer is amazing), apply one
coat and let it dry
- Add mascara (my go-to is Voluminous Lash Paradise by L’Oreal) on the top
and a light coat on the bottom, then brush it out, then repeat. Applying 2
coats of mascara will really open up your eyes!
Technique 2: Use Zig-Zag Motion
Laura Chawke, a beauty blogger at Makeup Scholar, suggests applying your mascara in a zig-zag motion, with a focus on the eyelashes in the middle of your eye just above the pupil. This will make your eyes look rounder and a lot bigger. Concentrating mascara at the outer edges of your lashes gives a pretty cat-eye look by elongating your eyes however this will not make your eyes look bigger.
The most important step is removing your mascara properly and looking after your eyelashes every day. Longer lashes will make your eyes look bigger, but your lashes can shorten and fall out quite easily thanks to the mascara if you don’t take proper care of them! Use a gentle but effective eye makeup remover and always follow up by applying either argan oil, coconut oil, or baby oil to your lashes with a q-tip to nourish your lashes overnight.
Laura also suggests finding the right mascara is important. For most people, the brush bristle type is more important than the actual mascara formula. Thin plastic wands tend to apply the product quickly and evenly, so they’re great for making your eyes look bigger in a rush. Thicker denser brushes are ideal for those who already have long and curly lashes – they make your lashes fluttery and your eyes appear much bigger.
Technique 3: Curl Your Lashes First
Crystal, beauty expert at TopTrendsGuide, explains that beauty is all about the science of symmetry, shapes, and proportions. The goal of any routine is to accentuate the features you want while minimizing others.
For making your eyes bigger with mascara, here’s what crystal suggests:
- Before you start applying mascara, begin by curling your lashes. Curled, not crimped, eyelashes can give the subtle illusion of larger eyes.
- Now apply a thick layer of mascara to your upper lashes, focusing on the
roots. If available, use a fan brush for easy application. The strategy is
to create a deep contrast between your dark lashes and the white in your
- Continue by gently brushing your bottom lashes as well; although for
some women, this can actually close up the eyes.
- If you need more help, consider applying a dark eyeshadow for more pop.