Eyelash perms don’t always end up perfect. If you don’t like how your eyelashes look after the perm job and want to get rid of it, there are ways to reverse the eyelash perm at home.
In this post, I connected with Stacie May, a beauty expert & hairstylist, and asked her to provide for me her best tips for reversing an eyelash perm at home.
Stacie suggests that when you’re looking for the best way to reverse an eyelash perm, focus on the tips that are usually given for optimal aftercare. Any lash technician will tell you that there are three cardinal rules for lash perms: keep them dry for the first 48 hours, avoid oil-based products, and skip your eyelash curler. With this in mind, doing the opposite of any of these three will help to reverse the process.
Here’s How to Reverse Eyelash Perm at Home:
- If you wish to reverse your lash perm, the first step is to take a shower. This breaks down the product.
- The next step is to use the oil directly on the lashes to break down the keratin formula. I recommend castor oil because not only will it help to reverse the perm treatment, but it’s also a great natural oil for thickening and lengthening your eyelashes.
- Give your lashes a lift without the perm by using an eyelash curler. It helps to reduce the keratin even more, as well as really push the castor oil into your lashes for maximum benefit.
How to Fix Over Permed Eyelashes
If your lashes are over permed and you ended up with eyelashes that are too curly, you can reverse the perm partially. I recommend you lie down on a bed and have a friend help you with the procedure below. It makes the process easier and will minimize the risk of getting perm solution in your eyes. This procedure also works if your lashes are straight up and you want them to look more natural.
If you don’t have a perm or setting solution, try the “Lift” and “Fixer” lotions from Aryana New York Vegan Lash & Eyebrow Kit. This kit is 100% vegan and animal cruelty free. It comes with a booster lotion that is made with castor oil and hyaluronic acid. Studies have shown that ricinoleic acid, a chemical compound that makes up close to 90% of castor oil may help scalp hair grow back. Hyaluronic acid helps to hydrate and nourish eyelashes.
Here’s How to Fix Over Permed Eyelashes:
- Using a spoolie, apply perm solution to the lashes that are too curly. Brush from the roots down the ends and add more perm solution as you go. Continue this step until the over permed lashes begin to straighten out. It shouldn’t take more than 2 – 5 minutes.
- Remove the perm solution using a cotton pad to soak it off your eyelashes. Do not pull on your eyelashes while doing this. Pressing the cotton pad gently on top of your lashes will usually do the trick.
- Using another spoolie, apply a setting solution to your lashes. Brush gently from the roots down the ends. You only need a small amount of setting solution here. This step should take no more than 1 minute.
- Gently soak off the excess setting solution with a cotton pad. Remember to press gently and don’t pull on your lashes with the pad.
- If you’ve done everything correctly, you’ll notice that your eyelashes have relaxed a bit. You will still have curls in your lashes
- Use the spoolie to get your lashes a final brush and curl them the way you want.